Major collections include:
- The Ardis and Robert James Collection of Antique and Contemporary Quilts
- The Byron and Sara Rhodes Dillow Collection
- The Jonathan Holstein Collection, including the 1971 Whitney Museum Exhibition quilts
- The Linda and Dr. John Carlson Four Block Quilt Collection
- The Robert and Helen Cargo Collection of African-American Quilts
- The Sara Miller Collection of Midwestern Amish Crib Quilts
In addition to the collections listed above, holdings include works of contemporary artists Deidre Amsden, Pauline Burbidge, Dorothy Caldwell, Nancy Crow, Radka Donnell, Chris Wolf Edmonds, Michael James, Terrie Hancock Mangat, Ruth McDowell, Jan Myers-Newbury, Ellen Oppenheimer, Emily Richardson, Faith Ringgold, Barbara Watler and others.
There are currently 30 different nations represented by quilts in the collection. This is an area of special focus as we work toward our goal of collecting, preserving and sharing quilts from all cultures, locations and eras.